Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Carpe Diem #1274 Ryuko-ji (compassion)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

In our CDHK history we have done exciting things all along the virual road. We made several journeys and we have walked pilgrimages all over the world. Back in 2014 we went to Shikoku Island, Japan after our journey straight through the former USSR. On Shikoku Island we visited, like millions of other O-Henro, the 88 temples converted to Kobo Daishi (also known as Kukai). The Shikoku pilgrimage is to Buddhists what the Hajj is for the Muslim. The Buddhists have to make this pilgrimage once in a life time and so it was our duty, as haiku poets, to visit Shikoku.

Today I have chosen one of the temples on Shikoku Island to inspire you with. This temple is named Ryuko-ji and is devoted to the Buddha of Compassion. One of the main ideas of Buddhism. In that episode (HERE) I also told you a little about the "State of Zen" in haiku and I remember that I told you a little bit more about "wordlessness".
"Wordlessness" is (in my opinion) one of the pillars of haiku. Look at our haiku. Three lines, approximately 17 syllables and around 15 or 20 words. It's a very short poem, but in that poem the strenght is the scenes that are tols about without words. So "wordlessness" is part of haiku.

Kobo Daishi (a.k.a. Kukai)
As I am preparing this episode I remember that I experimented with the haiku form last month and I think those experimental haiku are the best "image" or "example" of wordlessness in haiku. Nice to realize that. I hadn't thought about experimental haiku in the way of "wordlessness". Awesome.

Here is an example of what I call "experimental haiku", I think you will remember this one from last month.

stepping
into heaven
incense

© Chèvrefeuille (experimental haiku)

This one fits also the idea of pilgrimage in a way.

Let me try another "wordlessness"-haiku, sounds a bit strange ...

at dawn
dew shimmers
morning glories

© Chèvrefeuille ("wordlessness"-haiku)

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7:00 PM (CET) and will remain open until October 17th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, nakedness, later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment