Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Carpe Diem #522 Shiki (4), "the cuckoo's cry"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today (July 23rd) The Netherlands have a noational day of mourning for the casualties of the Malaysian Aitlines Shoot Down, so this new episode of CDHK will be severe in it's choice of words and it will not be a long episode. Just the haiku by Shiki ...

minazuki no  kokū ni suzushi  hototogisu

in the coolness
of the empty sixth-month sky...
the cuckoo's cry


© Masaoka Shiki


A wonderful haiku I think and it's also in the same sense, tone and spirit as The Netherlands are today ... thinking at all those who died in the Malaysian Airlines attack. Our thoughts are with those who are left behind with empty hands and mourning for their loved ones who didn't survive ....


the summer heat
trembles at the horizon -
a cooling breeze


© Chèvrefeuille


This episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until July 26th at noon (CET). I will try to post our next episode, the fifth haiku by Matsuo Basho, later on. That will be the first haiku of the last week of this wonderful haiku-month.



2 comments:

  1. Please forward this via e-mail to Jessica Slavin

    for Jessica Savin

    I find it difficult to leave a comment - I feel like I had to jump through hoops to get here -
    And I still can’t get to where I want to be because I will not let Disqus access my Google stuff.

    I really enjoyed your post. Loss is difficult. I have had to deal with loss from an early age. And it never gets easier with distance or closeness of just who or what and how death visits.

    Thank you, Jules

    ReplyDelete